Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft school software agreement
Microsoft’s Office 365 is a suite of online and offline productivity tools.
Schools are licensed to use the Microsoft 365 A3 suite which includes:
- Office 365 – a cloud-hosted suite of productivity software. Students’ and teachers’ devices can run Office in the cloud, installed on the desktop/device, or in a hybrid mode where content is synchronised between the user’s device and cloud.
- Office 365 Pro Plus – includes Access, Excel, Skype for Business, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word. Users install the client software onto their own devices.
- Enterprise Mobility & Security – includes software for mobile computing and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) management. It provides tools to manage mobile and desktop devices, applications, security, identity and access rights. It includes: Intune Mobile Device Management (MDM), Azure Active Directory Premium 1, Azure Rights Management, and Advanced Threat Analytics.
- Minecraft Education Edition – an open-world game with education specific features such as teacher classroom controls, a programming environment and hundreds of curriculum lessons. Minecraft Education Edition currently runs on Windows 10 and MacOS.
- Updated versions of all Microsoft’s key on-premise software – includes Windows 10, Office 2016, SharePoint 2016, Exchange 2016, Windows Server 2016, Skype for Business 2015.
If your school activates Office 365, teachers and students can access Office 365 Pro Plus software for their personal devices.
More information »
Microsoft software for schools
– information from the Ministry of Education about the Microsoft software available including how to get it, who can use it, and the assurance benefits offered.
There are two ways for New Zealand teachers and students to sign up to Office 365. In most cases, signing up the whole school provides greater functionality, particularly around collaboration.
1. Signing up as a school
Your school’s technical support administrator signs up the school and creates an account for all users that require one. This process can be automated by using Azure AD Connect
to connect the directory of users running on the school’s current server with Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure directory.
If you already have Office 365 set up as a school, sign in at the Office site
and click on the People icon to view members of your school.
If your school has not already been set up, get support from Datacom to carry out the initial licensing process:
2. Signing up as an individual teacher or student
Any administrator, teacher, or student with a valid New Zealand school email account can sign up for Office 365 by visiting Office 365 Education
.You can download and install the Office software on up to five devices and access the browser-based Office apps. It will not provide an email account or other access to school-based shared resources.
Accessing professional learning
Access professional learning about the Microsoft products through:
More information »